Skip to content
« World's Worst Decisions | Main | Two good things in life. »

Sharing Faith

Posted by Tim :: Ministry News

George Barna just came out with new research on how Christians share their faith.
A number of interesting points that relate to us is:
1) 55% of born again adults claimed to share their faith during the last 12 months. I don't know if that encourages or discourages you, but I figured the 45% who kept the Truth to themselves were busy executives or swamped moms... um, guess not.
2) The lowest rate of evangelistic activity occurred among Midwestern born again adults: just 41%. Maybe Halo is a bigger deal than I thought.
3) 74% of born again adults tried "lifestyle evangelism" in the last 12 months. According to Barna, this means that 3 out of 4 Christians tried "living in ways that would impress non-Christians". I guess the other 26% were living in ways to impress their friends who presumably were all Christians. Either that or they weren't impressing anybody.
4) Seven out of ten believers (69%) said they had engaged in "Socratic evangelism" which is having an on-going discussion with someone. If a young adult shares their faith at all, they choose this method. Bravo! This is the most respectful method of intentional evangelism that I know of. It has yielded abundant fruit at ISU over the years and continues to do so.

So, for all you Rockers who are memorizing verses with me this semester, our next salvo of verses are the rare gems in Scripture that capture the beautiful gospel message in just a few sentences.

1) John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Don't think that everyone knows it. Fewer and fewer do these days.

2) Romans 10:9-11 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, “Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”
One of my favorites. It shows that faith is accompanied by action (confessing with your mouth).

3) 1 John 5:11-13 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."
I love John's conviction here. The word "know" in verse 13 means "with absolute certainty".

4) John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11 was shared at my father's funeral and so Jesus' words hold much power and promise to me. Plus I love the challenging question he poses to Martha.

Enjoy!


Comments

live worms? seriously? oh man this is awesome. if they're a hit how much farther will you go? i hear there are big cockroaches that people eat in south america. live. wow that'd be sweet.

Posted by: nate at February 1, 2005 12:01 PM
Post a comment









Remember personal info?